It is feared that more than 700 migrants are dead in the Mediterranean shipwrecks that happened in the past weeks despite European ships saving thousands in rescue operations. Statistics has it that it had been the largest since April last year. The incident in 2015 killed 800 people who were trapped inside the ship that sank in the Mediterranean waters. Humanitarian organizations inform that migrant boats have sunk without any trace in this region. Even the dead were never recovered. Only their families reported that there family members who were in the ship never returned home.
Migrants attempt to travel by sea as the waters are warmer, and the weather is calm. The highest casualty was reported from a wooden fishing boat that was towed by a smuggler’s boat from the port of Sabratha in Libya. The boat sank on Thursday. A 21-year-old survivor Filmon Selomon from Eritrea reported to the Associated Press that the water came into the second boat, and the migrants tried to push the water out of the boat but in vain. This happened just three hours into the navigation.
While speaking to the reporter the survivor said that water was coming from everywhere and even after six hours it was impossible to push the water. Another survivor Mohammed Ali Iman, 17 years old who was rescued five days ago said the second boat the water after the first one was left with no fuel. Around 300 people sunk with the second boat, around 90 were saved who jumped into the sea and another 500 from the first boat. Crossing the Mediterranean is turning out to be dangerous with hundreds crossing every year.
Read more – VENUS WILLIAMS PINS HER HOPES ON THE QUARTERFINALS